Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Los Vahos

On Tuesday, August 15, we took a short trip just outside of Xela to Los Vahos ("The Vapors"). It was a small little cluster of buildings at the end of a 45 minute hike off of a main road out of town. It was heavenly, but hot as hell!

The natural saunas there are fueled by veins of volcanic heat pumped right into our own private little room. The temperature was easily over 110 degrees according to my trusty EMS thermometer. We lasted an impressive 30 minutes sweltering in the heat and enjoyed the cold shower.

We later learned from our host family that many indigenous people believe the saunas help detoxify the body; they also believe the vapors promote "let down" for breast milk, and often go to Los Vahos a few days after giving birth.

Los Vahos
Aug 15, 2006 - 26 Photos

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Breast milk? Oh my God Liz, are you pregnant?! Congats you guys!!

Dadda said...

Seriously Ben, you have a poker blog? Congrats on making some money at 3 in the morning.

Just for that, we´ll name the baby Lewis.

Anonymous said...

Let the breast milk flow!

Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Anonymous said...

Los Vahos de Leche con Queso...

Glad to see I'm not the only one who glommed onto the breast milk comment. Maybe it's all the nipples that are still in my kitchen drawers, but that jumped right off the blog at me.

Also, you should be careful as to pump too much volcanic heat into your little privates. Not good for reproduction.

Andele Vatos!

Marc

Anonymous said...

I'm on! I think. I have read all the blogs and thanks to MC, I now know how to add comments! Sounds like you guys are having a great time. I'm glad you are taking some time to relax and pamper yourselves. Miss you two! Be safe and enjoy the rest of your trip!

Anonymous said...

Thank you all for "latching" on to the breast milk post. We were starting to think nobody was reading this damn thing! Fortunately, Robert and I are still just practicing.

Leche con queso--that was good Marc!