Friday, December 09, 2005

Shoveling: Day 1 cont.

two hours later, still going strong.

Did I mention the 14 INCHES of snow?

In one night.

So let me attempt to put all of this in context. I grew up in lovely Mobile, Alabama, down on the Gulf Coast. In my eighteen years of living there it snowed two times -- not two prolonged, multi-day snow storms. I'm saying that white stuff fell from the sky on two separate, brief occasions. The first time, I don't remember that well but I was pretty young. I remember being so excited to make a snowman for the first time, but was understandably disappointed when they didn't turn out white. Why didn't they turn out white? Because we might have gotten one inch of snow that time. It was heavenly, and I loved that snowman with all my heart for the 2 hours before it melted.

Special occasion #2: Junior year in high school, we were all piled into the gym of the school for a holiday assembly. The jazz band was playing Let it Snow and someone came running inside saying it had started to snow. (I'm not kidding. Well, I don't think I'm kidding. I wasn't actually there at the time - I was at an eye appointment, but when I came out and could see more clearly than ever before with my new contacts, I did in fact witness the snow fall.) Back at school, people went crazy! (or so I heard) It was mid-morning at this point and within the hour, school was being let out early. I don't know exactly how much fell that time, but it was enough to cover the grass!! And one advantage of snowfall in the South...they forecasted another inch of snow the next day -- school was cancelled. I realize that may sound crazy to snow-friendly folks, but there are enough people here in Central New York who drive like crazies in the snow -- you can imagine what it would be like with EVERYONE on the road freaking out.

It also meant a day off after being at the school late that night with Adrian while our parents picked rotten fruit out the dumpster.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aww...I feel so bad for you. We had the chance fo 3-6 inches, so we might have had work cancelled (which just means I'd be working from home, but hey, we take what we can get) and what did we get? 1/2 of SLUSH. Are you kidding me? where's our 6 inches???!!!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.