Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Mornings in Xela

So yesterday was not an ideal start to our time here in Xela. But, today is a new day and our morning was quite a success. I am learning to celebrate little accomplishments that I have certainly taken for granted. For example, showering.

Our host Mother, Martha, is a wonderful older woman who lives less than one minute away from the school. She speaks very little English and that coupled with our Spanish proficiency can make for long awkward silence during meals. Although Martha is considered middle class in Xela, it is a far cry from my understanding of middle class in the United States. However, she takes great pride in her appearance. She is about 5 feet tall. Her hair is a beautiful salt and pepper color and her make-up, including brilliant blue eye shadow, is perfectly applied. She wears exquisite gold rings on all of her well-manicured fingers and her dress is always very neat. Her home, albeit very modest, is impeccably clean. Robert and I share her 6 room home in the heart of Zona 1. The layout of the house is very interesting. As you enter the house, you are in what appears to be a storage area. As you continue through the entrance way, the living area is straight ahead. You can take a left to enter our bedroom or a right to Martha´s. Most interesting, is that in order to enter the bathroom or kitchen you must walk across a small courtyard, where the only sink is located. Hence, the difficulty in showering. I needed to cross the courtyard in the brisk morning (without warm clothes), shower, and get back to our room. My next challenge.

Our travel alarm clock rang at 6am. I swiftly jumped out of bed from under the toasty covers and pulled a sweatshirt over my night gown and put on a pair of capri pants. (very cute visual!) I grabbed our community towel and headed across the courtyard. No problem.

I entered the bathroom where all toilet paper and feminine hygiene products must be disposed of in the waste basket. I entered the curtained shower area and began to derobe--leaving my sandals on. (it was like freshman year all over). This was a piece of cake. So, I turned the knobs to start the water flow and desperately watched two drops slowly fall to the ground. No agua! Why did I volunteer to shower first?

I reclothed and found Martha and in my limited Spanish exclaimed, "No Agua!" She smiled knowingly and led me back to el bano. There she grabbed a box of matches off of the water tank, walked to a box on the wall, and lit what appeared to be the equivalent of a pilot light on a stove. She then smiled and went into the area with the toilet and turned a valve to the left.(ah! a main water source!). Finally, she turned the knobs and glorious streams of hot water poured out of the shower head. I finished my shower and treked back to our room; I was perfectly content with the outcome of my first daily task. Hmmm, now I had to brush my teeth.

No comments: